10 Reasons Why Fiberglass Pools Are Better Than Concrete
Yes, that’s right, fiberglass pools are better than concrete pools, at least in most applications. Are there exceptions? Sure, no doubt, fiberglass pools are not for everyone due to some of their size and shape limitations, but the fact that they are exploding in popularity all over the world, especially in the US and Canada, one must no longer see fiberglass as a distant 3rd to concrete and vinyl in the swimming pool industry. But the main question is why? Why so much growth in popularity? Here’s the short answer:
10 Reasons why Fiberglass Pools are quickly becoming more popular than Concrete Pools in the US
1. Less Maintenance: This is an accepted fact in 2011, no longer up for debate. Fiberglass pools(FP) have reinvented the paradigm that ‘pools are a lot of work’. In fact, most FP owners spend less than 30 minutes a week in total maintenance.
2. Work Great with Salt: As anyone who understands science will tell you, Salt Chlorinated water, for all its wonders, is abrasive to concrete surfaces. What’s this mean to you? Well, it simply means you’re going to have to resurface your concrete pool much sooner. But as for a FP, salt is not a deterrent on the surface.
3. Less Cost: Yes, fiberglass and concrete may cost the same initially, but long term, due to the chemical and maintenance/resurfacing differences, a FP is much less.
4. Quicker Install: Who wants a pool guy in their yard for months? Answer: Nobody. In fact, fiberglass pools are often completed, including decking, in 2-3 weeks time. This means less stress for homeowners, neighbors, pets, etc.
5. Much easier on the Feet: Believe it or not, this is a big deal. Kids can play in a FP for hours without getting their feet torn apart by the rough surface. At River Pools, we’ve had many customers who owned a concrete pool in the past and bought fiberglass specifically for this reason.
6. More Appealing to Potential Home Buyer: Now that so many people understand the low maintenance and longevity benefits of a FP, the real estate market has become very attracted to these types of pools because potential home buyers don’t see them as a lot of work in the future.
7. Much Harder for Algae to Grow: Algae is the bane of a pool owner’s existence, and fiberglass pools have become well known to combat ‘the green monster’ due to their non-porous surface.
8. Seating is included: These days, every FP includes built-in steps and benches, a popular feature that always costs more with other types of pools.
9. The Green Advantage: With all the talk of the environment today, anything that uses less chemicals is a good thing. And when it comes to concrete vs. fiberglass, there’s no question which one uses less.
10. Sound Structure, Built to Last: No matter what your soil conditions are, fiberglass is the ideal suitor because it’s flexible enough to bend with shrink/swell, but strong enough to deal with the constant elements over the years.
So that’s it folks, 10 reasons why fiberglass pools are taking over the concrete pool market throughout North America. Questions? Comments? Feel free to add your thoughts below.